WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP THOSE AFFECTED IN CHRISTCHURCH
GIVE BLOOD – This is especially important in Christchurch, but anywhere there is a local blood bank you can become a donor. (A+ and O+ blood types are desperately needed)
BUILD COMMUNITY – Support your friends and whānau, meet your neighbours, especially those from migrant and refugee backgrounds who may be feeling particularly vulnerable. Reach out to Muslim friends, colleagues, local business owners and neighbours and see if they need help or just your support.
DONATE – If you would like to contribute money to assist the victim’s families a number of funds have been set up such as through Victim Support New Zealand or New Zealand Islamic Information Centre – NZIIC.
VOLUNTEER – If you’re based in Christchurch and would like to volunteer to help our Canterbury Neighbourhood Support members you can email Dave Wilkinson at: firstname.lastname@example.org
SPREAD THE WORD – Share useful information including helplines (Lifeline: 08000 LIFELINE / Victim Support: 0800 842 846) to support those who may need extra support during this difficult time. You can also call or text 1737 at any time to speak with a trained counselor.
SUPPORT – Attend a vigil, organise an event to bring your community together during Neighbours Day Aotearoa, or share a message of hope and support either on a sign or online. Every bit counts.
Neighbourhood Support North Shore works closely with the Police and other organisations to assist residents to improve safety, reduce crime and be better prepared for an emergency.
WHAT WE DO
- Encourage neighbours to get to know each other and communicate
- Share information that will help reduce the risk and fear of crime
- Help nurture a sense of community spirit and that village feeling
- Educate and empower people to make their neighbourhoods safer
- Enhance the safety and appearance of neighbourhoods
- Break down barriers of social isolation and communication
- Talk about and plan what streets would do in case of a civil emergency
- Monthly Police and NSNS email
HOW DO I JOIN?
Neighbourhood Support North Shore Is FREE – Join Here
Not every resident in your street will want to be in the group and group sizes will vary, though to be effective it is beneficial to encourage as many residents as possible to become members